Founded in 1990, RBD Instruments (formerly RBD Enterprises) began operations in Eden Prairie, MN, primarily servicing older PHI (Perkin Elmer Physical Electronics Division, now a part of Ulvac) systems and components. Over the next 22 years, our company has become the world-wide leader in the development of software and hardware upgrade products for older PHI systems. Our model 147 PC upgrade product line supports most PHI systems and combines improved reliability with a very user friendly software interface.
In January 2008, we changed our name to RBD Instruments to better match our expanded mission to bring innovative and affordable products to the Materials Science community!
Innovative Products for Materials Science
- IG2: Low cost sputter ion source package to clean samples for surface analysis
- Compact Auger Analyzer for in-situ analysis of surfaces
- USB Picoammeter to measure electron and ion currents in vacuum
- UV Water vapor desorption system
PC Upgrades, Repair and Parts for PHI (Ulvac) Surface Analysis Systems and Components
We provide the following products and services for PHI (Ulvac) systems and components:
As the world-wide leader in PC upgrades for older PHI systems, we will continue to improve our AugerScan and AugerMap software products well into the future!
RBD has thousands of loyal customers all over the world. Here are some examples of what they are saying:
- "It is clear to me that RBD Instrument’s is one of those companies that wasn’t simply started to make a lot of money. Its goal was to provide service and assistance, and to raise the level of expectations of the surface science community, and continuously improve and enhance the end user’s ability to get results, and at the same time improve their knowledge and make it easier for them to help themselves.
RBD Instruments is as much a provider of free information and knowledge as it is a revenue seeking operation, and that kind of integrity is rare in the current dog-eat-dog economy."
Steve Buckingham (Technologist - Analytical Chemist, Novelis Global Research & Technology Center)
- "I received the new solenoid today at noon. I did have time to swap it out and check it. SUCCESS!! Thanks for your timely help with this issue. I have changed samples successfully. Tomorrow I will put the instrument through it's paces..."
"...As always, it's a pleasure doing business with RBD - your expertise is invaluable to we users out here in the field. Thanks again."
Jerry Kallay (Quality Engineer, Arcelor/Mittal Weirton)
- “Since joining the Chemistry Department at Johns Hopkins University in 1997 I have used RBD as my sole source of surface analytical equipment. This includes several Phi XPS and AES systems, all of which remain fully operational. Over the years RBD has continued to sell a wide range of high quality, refurbished surface analytical instruments at extremely competitive pricing. This resale capability has been complemented by prompt and efficient instrument repair and troubleshooting capabilities. Their combination of technical and service skills mean that RBD is unique as a company in terms of its ability to help maintain the research productivity of surface scientists working on limited budgets, and I recommend them to colleagues without hesitation.”
Howard Fairbrother (Professor of Chemistry, Johns Hopkins University)
- "I have gotten first class service from RBD Instruments, the people are friendly , helpful, and very knowledgeable. I have gotten parts overnight when I was down, I have gotten stellar technical help on what to look for or measure when determining what needed to be repaired or replaced. Randy is an encyclopedia of information on always ready to help me keep my system running. I would recommend RBD Instruments without reservation to anyone needing help or parts for their system."
Brian Halawith (Manufacturing Engineering Manager L3 Communications - EOS)
- "Thanks so much for the great customer service. This is one of the
best experiences I've ever had with a company's tech support."
Mike Ziemkiewicz ( JILA, University of Colorado at Boulder)
- "[RBD's] service is the best in the business - and I have a lot of service providers."
James W. McEwen (Manager, Business Development, Oneida Research Services, Inc.).